Pages

Monday, June 8, 2015

First Day of First Grade


To my little boy,

Today is your first day in first grade.  I don't know if the first day of school is harder for you or for me.  The house is eerily quiet without your laughter and your energy and I must admit I have separation anxiety after spending every single day with you this summer.  

This year will be challenging for us for sure.  It's your first time to attend a morning class and in spite of our preparations last night, you grumbled when I woke you up at 6 a.m.  I know we will have many mad dashes to make it to school on time.

You were not in your usual talk-a-mile-a-minute mood.  You were quiet on the 5-minute drive to school, only talking to remind me to take care of Name (your stuffed dog).  While walking to class you complained of a tummy ache and so we rushed to the boys comfort room where you vomited today's breakfast.  I tried to calm you down by saying it's just first day jitters.  I hope the little note I tucked in your snack bag will make you smile.

You tend to be reserved around new kids and prefer to observe and sit by the sidelines.  It's a good thing Paul & Creiane are your classmates again this year.  It comforts me to know that there are familiar faces in your class.  

In the corridor, I bumped into Teacher Riza who was on her way to visit you.  I hope her presence put you at ease.  I pray your new teachers will mother and mentor you just as well as your CASA teachers.

Each day you are growing older, kinder and wiser and each day I will step back a little more to allow you to be the boy you are destined to be.  But remember, I am always your mother and always available for a hug, a cuddle or to answer any of the thousands of questions your brain seems to come up with every day.

Daddy and I want you to know that we do not care if you are the smartest, or fastest or coolest kid in class.  We don't send you to school so you can be the best at anything.  We love you unconditionally. You don't have to earn our love and our pride.  


We send you to school so you can practice being brave and kind.  The world needs more brave and kind souls.   

I know I should relish my free time while you are away, but I will watch the clock until 12 noon when I can pick you up and hear every detail about this new chapter of your life.  I miss you terribly.


Love, 
Mom  

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS