Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

My First Parent-Teacher Conference

Met with my son's teacher today to discuss his progress in school.  His report card reads:
Quino likes to share stories from outside the school to his teachers.  He prefers to observe his classmates' behavior rather than interact with them.  He takes the initiative to work with the materials in the classroom and to concentrate on certain tasks.  He has a strong sense of order; he would assist the school aide in cleaning the classroom and help the teacher or other students fix or return a material.  Quino would benefit from practicing the cursive letters' sounds and his pincer grip for writing.
My son is Senior Casa in a Montessori school so there is no traditional grading system.  Both my husband and I went to Montessori school so we decided this was the best option for him. 

For someone who didn't have any formal schooling prior to this school year, I am very proud of my son's development.  Most of his grades are SP (Superior Progress).  But more than the grades, I am happy that he likes learning, going to school and he's kind & helpful. 

Society puts so much pressure and competition on kids at such an early age.  Parents fill their children's schedules with so many activities that they might not have time to just be children.  To play and be carefree and yes, even make mistakes and fail.  It's not the end of the world if that happens.  I'd rather raise a son who can bounce back from any adversity than a sheltered child that can't accept defeat. 

He doesn't know how to write his name yet.  He knows his ABCs (but has trouble associating the letters' sounds) and he can only count 1-12 (then skips to random numbers like 32, 48 & 500) but soon he will learn those things and so much more.  And his daddy and I will be guiding him every step of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS