Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Sunday Slowdown: Pamper Ritual

Hubby's off to a MTB race in Batangas. The house is quiet (well relatively since there is only one noisemaker in the house) so I am locking myself in the bathroom for my much-needed pamper time.

As a busy mom, I rush from one thing to the next during weekdays. So I make sure I carve out some me time before the next work week starts to slow down and take care of myself. I don't like going to spas because I feel guilty spending that much money when I can do it myself at home for a fraction of the cost. 

This is my usual (well atleast at the moment) routine:


The first thing I do is put on the Crest Whitening Strips (bought mine here if you'd like to give it a try) as these need to stay on your teeth for 30 minutes. I'm not impressed with this.  It didn't work for me so now I'm trying oil pulling with coconut oil.  I only started 3 days ago so I will reserve the verdict on that until I've been doing it religiously for 2 weeks.  I will blog about that experience separately.

After that I get in the shower and shampoo and condition my hair.  I currently use Schwarzkopf Extra Care Ultimate Repair which you can buy at any grocery store. When that's done, I massage the L'Oreal Mythic Oil Nourishing Masque (bought on sale from my friend who works at Salon Privat Manila - follow them on Instagram for sale updates) on my hair and leave that in while I soap my body. I rinse the soap and hair mask off. Then I lather the Ivory body wash (bought mine on sale at S&R) on a loofah and generously scrub that all over. Rinse and pat dry. 

I wash my face with Paula's Choice cleanser (not pictured but worth a separate worship post) then I apply the Skin Laboratory Salicylic Acid Peel (bought mine from Amazon but you can find similar here).  I use a regular cotton pad and just swipe that on my face. This is super quick & only needs to be kept on for 8 minutes.  I have been exposed to professional peeling for years.  I went to a certified dermatologist for many years and her peels cost PhP 3,000/session.  The result I get from this peel is comparable to a professional peeling but 10x more inexpensive.  I forgot how much I paid for this bottle but I've had it for more than a year and it's still 1/3 full.  This is like magic in a bottle I tell you.  I am convinced that this keeps my hormonal cystic acne at bay.  However, if you're new to peeling, I would suggest working your way up to 8 minutes.  When I first used this, I left it on for a minute because it was that strong.  Then I slowly built up my tolerance.  So definitely PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

The last step is the face mask.  ALWAYS apply the mask AFTER you've done your peeling.  I bought the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Mask in Healthy Options.  If I remember correctly this was less than PhP400.  Because you only need a small amount mixed with apple cider vinegar (I prefer to use water), this tub could last years.  Truthfully, it's more labor-intensive than other masks because you have to mix it first with your liquid of choice before you can apply it (see how-to video here).  I've tried the Mario Badescu Drying Mask (so-so) and the Murad Clarifying Acne Mask (this I like) and honestly, I feel the Aztec Clay Mask is similar to the latter but more troublesome to apply.  It's also a hassle to remove because you can't wash it down your sink or it could clog your drains.  What I like though is that it's all natural.  Reviews say that this works wonders for blackheads but I can't really vouch for that since thankfully my skin is under control.  Once I finish this tub, I will probably go back to the Murad Clarifying Acne Mask or try the Queen Mint Julep Mask which is also available at Healthy Options.

I know this whole process sounds like a lot but I finish in under an hour.  I'm a firm believer that a happy wife/mama = a happy life (for everyone).  I think it's a good investment to make on yourself because when you look good outside, you feel good inside.

Mamas, please share your pamper rituals and favorite beauty products.  I would love to hear your comments and suggestions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS